According to Press TV, Josep Borrell made the remarks after meeting with Jordanian Foreign Minister Ayman Safadi in Amman on Sunday. The European top diplomat was on a short tour of the region, expected to take him to Tehran next.
“The experience over the past 50 years has shown that without agreement among all sides, no peace plan has the chance to succeed,” he said amid uniform Palestinian rejection of the scheme.
Trump had announced the scheme, which he has controversially named as the “deal of the century”, years ago but withheld its details.
He unveiled the scheme’s outlines on Tuesday, saying it features recognition of the occupied al-Quds as Israel’s “capital” — although Palestinians want the city’s eastern part as the capital of their future state.
Trump also said that under the plan, Israel would be annexing the settlements that it has been building in the West Bank since occupying the Palestinian territory in 1967.
This is while all previous foreign-mediated agreements between the Palestinians and Israelis as well as repeated United Nations resolutions have mandated Tel Aviv to withdraw behind the 1967 borders.
Palestinians, who had already spurned the plot, repeated their opposition to it soon after Trump’s announcement.
On Saturday, Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas cut relations with Washington and Tel Aviv in response to Trump’s announcement, saying his decision followed US and Israeli “disavowal of signed agreements and international legitimacy.”
Borrell said, “The US plan challenges many of the internationally-agreed parameters: the 1967 border, as agreed by both parties.”
“To find a sustainable way forward, both parties need to come back to the table,” he added.