According to Press TV, speaking at the 4th edition of Mediterranean Dialogues (MED 2018) forum in the Italian capital of Rome, the Iranian top diplomat said Thursday that Tehran would not renege on any deal made.
Trump pulled out of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) in May, branding the landmark agreement between Iran and the P5+1 group of countries – the US, the UK, France, China, Russia and Germany – a “disaster.”
Zarif stressed that the US could not be trusted for any further talks without the required guarantees, something he said was too much to expect from the Trump administration.
“If we are to make an agreement with the United States, what is the guarantee that the agreement will last after the flight? You remember Canada?” he said, taking a jab at Trump for his last minute refusal to sign a G7 summit closing statement in June, after his plane left host Canada.
“How are we to be confident that the signature stays on the paper?” Zarif added.
The deal’s future became even more unclear earlier this month, after sweeping new American sanctions targeting Iran’s oil exports came into effect.
Despite granting waivers to Iran’s main oil buyers for the time being, Washington has warned that it would punish European companies that engage in business deals with Iran.
Iran has threatened to pull out of the JCPOA if it no longer received the economic benefits of it.
Zarif said while he was certain that Europe would be able to guarantee the deal’s future, Iran was not going to wait long.