Iran has categorically dismissed US accusations that it has failed to declare an alleged ‘a toxic arms program’ to the global chemical warfare watchdog in breach of the Chemical Weapons Convention, lashing out at Washington for failing to fulfill its own commitments under the Convention.
According to Press TV, in a Thursday statement, Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qassemi said Tehran strongly rejected the “groundless” accusations leveled by the US mission to the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) during the Fourth Review Conference of the Chemical Weapons Convention (CWC) in The Hague.
Qassemi referred to the US as the only OPCW member state with chemical weapons arsenals which he said had so far failed to fulfill its commitment to destroy them.
He added that the US had leveled such “false accusations” against Iran while it was, itself, siding with the Israeli regime’s chemical weapons program.
Qassemi said Washington had raised such allegations out of its hostility toward the Iranian nation, adding that the White House was trying to raise such accusations to divert the world’s attention away from its own violation of commitments and continued support for the Israeli chemical arsenals and terrorist groups.
The US accused Iran on Thursday of failing to declare what it called “a toxic arms program” to the OPCW in breach of international agreements.
Many Iranians are still suffering from the effects of chemical weapons used by the former Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein, who was backed by the US and Europe during his eight-year war on Iran in the 1980s.
At the time, repeated uses of chemical weapons by Saddam against Iranian troops and civilians were met with the deafening silence of the West.
Iran never retaliated against Iraq’s chemical weapons attacks on troops and civilians, which killed 20,000 Iranians and severely injured 100,000 more.