Breaking News

Iran’s Armed Forces await no permit to strengthen defense power: Military chief

Iran’s military chief says the Armed Forces stand fully ready to defend the country in the face of threats, and that they do not wait for permission from any foreign power to promote their defense capabilities.

According to Press TV, Chief of Staff of Iranian Armed Forces Major General Mohammad Baqeri was speaking at the Iranian Parliament (Majlis) on Wednesday on the anniversary of the liberation of the southern city of Khorramshahr during the former Iraqi regime’s 1980s imposed war against Iran.

“The Armed Forces are today at the height of their defensive power as well as military and combat preparedness compared to any other time, and that they do not await any permission or [approving] smile from any foreign power to strengthen their defense power.”

He made the comments after US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Washington would increase financial pressure on Iran by imposing it with the “strongest sanctions in history” if Tehran refuses to fulfill a 12-point list of demands formulated by Washington.

Earlier in the month, US President Donald Trump raised eyebrows worldwide by announcing that the country was withdrawing from a 2015 multi-lateral nuclear agreement with Iran, and restoring its nuclear-related sanctions against the Islamic Republic.

The Iranian commander denounced the US for breaking its promises and laying out a list of ‘do’s’ and ‘don’ts’ for the Islamic Republic, describing it as “an oppressive, criminal, isolated and furious enemy, which is being ruled by corrupt leaders and is on the payroll of the Zionist regime and terrorists” of the Mujahedin-e Khalq Organization (MKO).

Advertisements