Syria’s official SANA news agency reported early on Thursday that a barrage of Israeli missiles were intercepted after some 20 projectiles were launched from Syrian soil at Israeli positions in the Golan Heights in response to an earlier Israeli shelling of Quneitra Province.
SANA said that the Syrian air defenses were “confronting a new wave of Israeli aggression rockets and downing them one after the other.” Citing a military source, however, it added that Zionist regime’s rocket fire had hit a Syrian radar site and an ammunition warehouse.
The Israeli army claimed that some of the missiles fired from Syria had been intercepted and that the level of damage was “low.”
Earlier, Syrian media said that Israeli troops had shelled the city of Ba’ath in the Southern Province of Quneitra.
No casualties have been reported from any of the incidents.
On Tuesday, Israeli missiles targeted Syrian army positions in the Kisweh area south of the capital city Damascus.
Also on Tuesday, Israel instructed local authorities to “unlock and ready (bomb) shelters” in the occupied Golan Heights as US President Donald Trump announced Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) departure.
Zionist regime seized the Golan Heights from Syria during the 1967 Six-Day War and has continued to occupy two-thirds of the strategically-important territory ever since, in a move that has never been recognized by the international community.
The regime has built tens of illegal settlements in the area since its occupation and has used the region to carry out a number of military operations against the Syrian government.