Iran has strongly condemned the military strikes by the US, the UK and France against Syria as a violation of international law, warning against the repercussions of such an act of aggression against an independent country.
According to Press TV, the Iranian Foreign Ministry said in statement released on Saturday “The aggression is a flagrant violation of international law and a disregard of Syria’s right to national sovereignty and territorial integrity.”
The statement was reacting to a coordinated missile attack by the US, Britain and France on Syria in the early hours of Saturday over an alleged chemical attack in the Damascus suburb last week.
“Based on religious, legal and ethical regulations, Iran opposes any use of chemical weapons, but at the same time, strongly rejects and condemns the fabrication of excuses to invade an independent country,” the statement read.
Iran also held the US and its allies accountable for the regional and extra-regional consequences of the military attack that launched against Syria “without any evidence or proven document” to verify their claims of a chemical attack by Damascus.
The statement further called on international organizations and bodies to firmly condemn the “arbitrary and unilateral” military attacks against a United Nations member state, which run contrary to international regulations and the UN Charter.
Iran “roundly condemns” such acts of aggression, which undermine global peace and strengthens terrorism and extremism in the region, said the statement.
Syria came under attack one week after a suspected chemical weapons attack hit the Syrian town of Douma near Damascus.
Western countries blamed the incident on the Syrian government, but Damascus rejected the accusations as “chemical fabrications” made by the terrorists themselves in a bid to halt pro-government forces’ advances.
The fresh strikes by the US marked the second time that President Donald Trump has authorized attacks on Syria.
He had ordered a missile strike against Shayrat Airbase in Syria’s Homs Province on April 7, 2017. He claimed back then that the air field had been the origin of a suspected sarin gas attack on the town of Khan Shaykhun in Syria’s Idlib Province on April 4, 2017.
Elsewhere in its statement, the Iranian Foreign Ministry said that both military attacks on Syria came after terrorists faced defeats in Aleppo and Eastern Ghouta, respectively.
It also stressed that the Syrian nation will foil the conspiracies meant to change equations on the ground in favor of the terrorists.