The military made the announcement in a statement on Sunday, saying that the fatalities had taken place two days earlier during a major security operation in the volatile northern region as well as parts of the Nile Delta and the Western Desert.
“The air force targeted and destroyed 66 targets used by terrorist elements to hide from air and artillery attacks, and to escape from their bases during raids,” the statement said.
It added that forces involved in the operation found a media center with computers, communication equipment, and books and documents related to extremist ideology.
The Egyptian military also said that 34 militants had been arrested during a “sweep and raids… in northern and central Sinai.”
The security operations involved troops from Egypt’s air force, navy, and ground forces as well as police and border guards.
Egyptian President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, who is preparing to seek a second term in elections in March, has vowed that the army will employ “absolute force” to eliminate terrorism in the Sinai Peninsula.
The Sinai Peninsula has been under a state of emergency since October 2014, after a deadly terrorist attack left 33 Egyptian soldiers dead.