United Nations Security Council (UNSC) envoys are set to visit Washington to see debris purportedly from a Yemeni missile that reached deep inside Saudi territory last year, with the US claiming that it was supplied by Iran.
The envoys will visit a military hangar in Washington on Monday, where US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley presented the remnants of an alleged Iranian-made ballistic missile fired from Yemen on November 4 at the King Khalid International Airport near the Saudi capital, Riyadh.
According to the US’s UN mission, Haley and her 14 council colleagues will also lunch with US President Donald Trump.
On December 14, Haley presented what she claimed to be “undeniable” evidence, including the allegedly recovered pieces of the Yemeni missile, saying it proved that Iran was violating international law by giving missiles to the Ansarullah movement.The movement have been fighting back a Saudi-led aggression with allied Yemeni army troops and tribal fighters.
A few days later, she said that the UNSC could strengthen the provisions in Resolution 2231, which was approved in July 2015 to endorse the multilateral nuclear deal with Iran, or adopt a new resolution banning Tehran from all activities related to ballistic missiles.
Iran’s UN mission categorically dismissed Haley’s allegations against the Islamic Republic as “unfounded,” stressing that “this purported evidence … is as much fabricated as the one presented on some other occasions earlier.”
“These accusations seek also to cover up for the Saudi war crimes in Yemen, with the US complicity, and divert international and regional attention from the stalemate war of aggression against the Yemenis,” the mission said in a statement .
It further accused the US government of being “constantly at work to deceive the public into believing the cases they put together” to advance its agenda in the region.
Moreover, a panel appointed by the Security Council said that it had seen no evidence to support the claims that missiles had been transferred to the Ansarullah fighters by external sources.
In addition to the US lobbying efforts against Iran’s peaceful missile activities, the Trump administration has for months been threatening to quit the nuclear accord, officially called the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), if its “disastrous flaws” are not fixed.