“The Islamic Republic of Iran’s approach concerning the issue of Cyprus since its beginning until now has been based on a principled and fixed stance and has supported its integrity,” Bahram Qassemi said on Monday, Press TV reported.
The latest round of talks in a decades-long effort to reunify the two Cypruses collapsed on Friday as the conflicting sides failed to narrow their differences and reach a compromise despite an 11th-hour bid by the UN chief to salvage them.
The talks started in the Swiss Alpine resort of Crans-Montana on June 28 and were regarded as the best chance to end the island’s 40-year division.
The failure to reach an agreement follows more than two years of UN-backed efforts to reunify the island and end one of the world’s longest-running political crises.
Qassemi said Iran has been scrutinizing the recent talks and all those held over the past two years and gave the opposing sides “consultative standpoints” while hearing their arguments.
He added that Iran presented a proposal last year to host the talks in Tehran which was welcomed by the sides.
The Iranian spokesperson hailed efforts made by leaders of the opposite sides, the United Nations and senior officials of the European Union and expressed regret that the latest round of the reunification talks failed to bear any fruits.
“The Islamic Republic of Iran believes that the sides’ agreements reached over the past two years on different issues have the adequate capacity to lead to the continuation of negotiations until the achievement of a final agreement and that this [capacity] should not be overlooked,” Qassemi said.
He called on the three Guarantor Powers – the UK, Turkey and Greece – and the international community to resume negotiations to help establish peace and stability in the region through the continuation of efforts to reach a deal on the Cyprus issue.