Qatar says the demands presented by Saudi Arabia and three of its allies that have imposed a blockade on Doha are not “realistic”, as the unprecedented diplomatic crisis in the Persian Gulf region seems headed for a stalemate.
According to Press TV, Sheikh Saif al-Thani, the Director of Qatar’s Government Communications Office, was further quoted as saying by Reuters on Saturday “We are reviewing these demands out of respect for… regional security and there will be an official response from our ministry of foreign affairs.”
He added that US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had recently called on the boycotters to draw up a list of grievances that was “reasonable and actionable.”
“This list does not satisfy that criteria,” Sheikh Saif added.
Meanwhile, Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in a statement that Doha had received “a paper, on June 22, containing demands from” Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and Egypt, confirming reports by news agencies on Friday that Doha had been given a copy of the 13-point demand list by Kuwait, a key mediator in the crisis, the day before.
“The State of Qatar is currently studying this paper, the demands contained therein and the foundations on which they were based, in order to prepare an appropriate response,” added the statement by Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The wealthy Persian Gulf country is given 10 days to look into the demands and comply with them.
Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt, and the UAE severed ties with Qatar on June 5, officially accusing Doha of supporting “terrorism” and destabilizing the region. Qatar, however, has slammed the measures as unjustified, saying they are based on false claims and assumptions.